In the 1880 - 1950's, produce dealers lined up to send telegrams at one of the two telegraph offices, both situated at 10th and Howard Streets. Today, Mr. Toad’s bar occupies this location.
The Old Market canopies covering the wide sidewalks remind us that the buying, selling, and delivery of fruits and vegetables took place on these sidewalks.
In 1903, this “touch, smell and haggle” fruit and vegetable barter place was started as a meeting place for truck gardeners and independent grocers and later developed into one of Omaha’s best known sights. – The Old Market
In the 1880's and 90's most of the buildings in the Old Market were used as warehouses that specialized in supplying fruits and vegetables to retailers in other parts of the city.
The Union Pacific railroad started its first service from Omaha to California even before the first bridge across the Missouri was built. Trains were carried across the river on special ferries.
“Each Old Market building was constructed by hand from an architect’s plan from hand-made elements made for the most part especially for the building. Perhaps because of this and also because of the passage of time, the buildings create an impression very different from that of a group of contemporary buildings.” Sam Mercer
In 1884 Omaha was known to have 186 Saloons, 185 Gambling Houses, A Thriving Hoopskirt and Bustle Factory, and the Largest Bicycle Club in the West.